FAME Foundation is committed to encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion among our workforce, and eliminating unlawful discrimination.
The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and our volunteers, and for each employee to feel respected and able to give their best.
Our organisation in providing goods and/or services and/or facilities – is also committed against unlawful discrimination of employees or the public.
The policy’s purpose is to:
- provide equality, fairness and respect for all in our employment, whether temporary, part-time or full-time.
- to not unlawfully discriminate, build a diverse workforce and to ensure that job applicants and employees do not receive less favorable treatment at work on the grounds of age, gender, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, maternity, family responsibilities, political beliefs, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.
- oppose and avoid all forms of unlawful discrimination. This includes in pay and benefits, terms and conditions of employment, dealing with grievances and discipline, dismissal, redundancy, leave for parents, requests for flexible working, and selection for employment, promotion, training or other developmental opportunities.
The Policy guarantees that:
- All FAME’s employees will be treated fairly and with respect. For the purposes of this policy, the term “employee” includes Board Members, Consultants, Volunteers, Trustees and Interns.
- All employees are entitled to a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Harassment is defined as any behavior based on any of the characteristics identified above which is unwanted and which has the purpose or effect of violating an individual’s dignity or creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for that individual. Discrimination occurs when someone is treated less favorably than another person because of any of the characteristics identified above.
- All employees will have the opportunity to contribute and achieve their potential.
SCOPE OF THE POLICY
The Workplace Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy applies to FAME job applicants and to all FAME employees whether full time or part time, temporary or permanent. It covers:
- FAME’s general policy statements
- Recruitment, selection and promotion
- Terms and conditions of employment
- Professional development
- Safe working environment
- Grievances, disciplinary action and termination of employment
GENERAL POLICY STATEMENTS
FAME Foundation commits to:
- Celebrate a diverse workforce to ensure fair treatment.
- Provide any reasonable adjustments for people with disabilities to ensure they have access to our services and employment.
- Ensure that no-one is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be relevant to performance.
- Create a working environment free of bullying, harassment, victimization and unlawful discrimination, promoting dignity and respect for all, and where individual differences and the contributions of all staff are recognized and valued.This commitment includes training all employees about their rights and responsibilities under the equality, diversity and inclusion policy. Responsibilities include staff conducting themselves to help the organisation provide equal opportunities in employment, and prevent bullying, harassment, victimization and unlawful discrimination.All staff should understand they, as well as their employer, can be held liable for acts of bullying, harassment, victimization and unlawful discrimination, in the course of their employment, against fellow employees, and the public.
- Challenge discriminatory behaviors or attitudes wherever they occur, by taking seriously complaints of bullying, harassment, victimization and unlawful discrimination by fellow employees, visitors, the public and any others in the course of the organisation’s work activities.
- Respond swiftly and sensitively to any incidences of discrimination.
Such acts will be dealt with as misconduct under the organisation’s grievance and/or disciplinary procedures, and appropriate action will be taken. Particularly serious complaints could amount to gross misconduct and lead to dismissal without notice.
Furthermore, sexual harassment may amount to both an employment rights matter and a criminal matter, such as in sexual assault allegations.
- Make opportunities for training, development and progress available to all staff, who will be helped and encouraged to develop their full potential, so their talents and resources can be fully utilized to maximize the efficiency of the organisation.
- Ensure that we take account of the needs of our employees’ pregnancy or maternity.
- Decisions concerning staff being made based on merit.
- Ensure that employees’ religion or beliefs and related observances are respected and accommodated wherever possible where the expression of those beliefs does not impinge on the legitimate rights of others.
- Review employment practices and procedures when necessary to ensure fairness, and also update them and the policy to take account of changes in the law.
- Monitor the make-up of the workforce regarding information such as age, sex, ethnic background, sexual orientation, religion or belief, and disability in encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion, and in meeting the aims and commitments set out in the equality, diversity and inclusion policy.Monitoring will also include assessing how the equality, diversity and inclusion policy, and any supporting action plan, are working in practice, reviewing them annually, and considering and taking action to address any issues.
RECRUITMENT, SELECTION AND PROMOTION
FAME advertises all open positions on its website and states clearly that it welcomes applications from all sections of the community. The job advertisement and job specification specify clearly the knowledge, experience and skills required by the applicant.
Selection for employment will be on the basis of relevant criteria, experience, aptitude and ability. Candidate selection will always be carried out by more than one person and never by a single-sex panel.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
FAME applies a job classification scheme which uses specific criteria to identify jobs of similar complexity and responsibility and to place them within classification bands in order to identify work of equivalent or the same value. Pay is then determined by the location of the position within the classification scheme.
Terms and conditions of employment and benefits will be reviewed regularly to ensure that they are available to all employees who should have access to them and that there are no unlawful obstacles to accessing them.
FAME’s performance management process supports the identification of professional development needs and opportunities and the identification of career development goals.
FAME provides access to learning and development opportunities to all staff. All employees will be helped and encouraged to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of the workforce will be fully utilized to maximize the effectiveness of our work.
SAFE WORKING ENVIRONMENT
FAME prohibits all forms of physical or verbal harassment and discrimination.
GRIEVANCES, DISCIPLINARY ACTION AND TERMINATION OF EMPLOYMENT
FAME will ensure that, where applicable, grievance and disciplinary procedures are carried out fairly and uniformly for all employees, whether they result in the giving of disciplinary warnings, dismissal or other disciplinary action.
We will monitor redundancy criteria and procedures to ensure that they are fair and objective and do not directly or indirectly discriminate against employees.
BREACHES OF THIS POLICY
Staff should use the grievance procedure to make a formal complaint regarding any instance of harassment or discrimination. More information regarding options, and support for employees who feel they are being harassed, can be found in our Anti- Harassment and Bullying Policy.
Serious breaches of the Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy will constitute gross misconduct and give rise to penalties up to and including dismissal. Anyone found guilty will be dealt with according to the disciplinary procedures laid down.
FAME is committed to protecting from retaliation those staff members who report what they reasonably and in good faith believe to be any instance of harassment or discrimination under the terms of this policy. “Retaliation” or “victimization” means any direct or indirect action that might be recommended, threatened or taken to the detriment of an employee who engaged in reporting misconduct or who is suspected of doing so. Retaliation against a person reporting breaches of this policy will lead to disciplinary proceedings up to and including dismissal.