Regional Communications Manager, Africa
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Full Time
Founded in 1992, Equality Now fights for the protection and promotion of the human rights of women and girls around the world through legal advocacy. Working with grassroots women’s and human rights organizations and individual activists, Equality Now documents violence and discrimination against women and mobilizes national and international action to support efforts to stop these abuses. The organization’s work is focused on four main program areas: Legal Equality, End Sexual Violence, End Harmful Practices, and End Sex Trafficking.
With staff in the United States, the United Kingdom, Kenya, Lebanon, Jordan, India, Georgia, and the Netherlands, Equality Now is governed by an eleven-member Board of Directors, a six-member UK Trustees group, and a six-member Africa Board.
A collaborative, organized and innovative communications manager is needed for our busy Nairobi office to work with multiple departments to create complementary, resourced, and multichannel communications strategies to meet program, development, and organizational communication needs. The person will manage a small team across Africa and in the Middle East whilst working closely with the global communications team. This is a new position and requires someone with strong project and people management, stakeholder communication and strategic thinking skills. This is a fantastic opportunity to use communications to make an impact at a regional and international level in the women and girls rights space.
- Create a joined up, multichannel communications strategy for the Africa region, taking into account, campaign, funding and reputation requirements. Ensuring the strategy is closely linked and represented in Equality Now’s global communications, advocacy, and fundraising work.
- In tandem with the Middle East Regional Representative and Head of Advocacy, set out communications plans for the region.
- Work closely with the Program and Communications team to create a forward look of communications needs and ensure all needs are resourced correctly.
- Work closely with the Program and Development team to build funding bids, where communications has a role – ensuring the bids are innovative, utilize ENs communications expertise and are resourced in terms of staff and hard costs appropriately, where possible.
- Oversee and contribute to the design and implementation of innovative communications strategies as part of ENs grant funded work in Africa & MENA, and act as a key partner to the Program team – paying attention to key moments such as international days, internal report/campaign launches and news moments.
- Oversee and contribute to the design and implementation of communications strategies that advances EN’s strategic priorities for non-funded, reactive work in Africa and MENA.
- Manage a small team to deliver against agreed objectives and manage people progressively, to ensure excellent outcomes for EN and staff.
Stakeholder Management and Project Management
- Build and manage stakeholder relationships with partners and their communication teams to create a reciprocal network to share ideas and information with.
- As part of the Global Communications Team, ensure work in the Africa and MENA region is mapped into planning documents and processes.
- Create and steward a network of professionals, journalists and influencers at national, regional and international levels.
- Create detailed campaign and project plans, with measurable objectives, timelines and budgets and present/socialize when necessary.
- Through strong project management, ensure the Communication element of Campaign work across Africa and MENA is delivered to a high standard, on time and to budget via team members.
For more details, visit: https://equalitynow.applytojob.com/apply/SnMv6SYqOy/Regional-Communications-Manager-Africa